Pence ‘Standing By’ Trump, Never Considered Leaving Ticket

10 Oct Pence ‘Standing By’ Trump, Never Considered Leaving Ticket

Mike Pence speaking with supporters at a campaign rally and church service in Mesa Arizona on September 22, 2016.

Photo: Gage Skidmore

Mike Pence speaking with supporters at a campaign rally and church service in Mesa Arizona on September 22, 2016.

Mike Pence is standing by Donald Trump, saying he never considered leaving the Trump ticket.

Following the latest presidential debate, Pence said Monday that he believes Trump is sorry for the crude and predatory language about women captured in a 2005 video that became public last week.

Pence told Fox News that Trump “stepped up” during the debate: “He showed humility. He showed strength. He expressed genuine contrition for the words he had used” in the video.

He later told CNN that he never considered dropping off Trump’s ticket. He said: “It’s the greatest honor of my life.”

During Sunday’s debate, Trump was asked about Pence’s statement in the vice presidential debate that the U.S. should be prepared to strike military targets of Syrian President Bashar Assad to intervene in the country’s humanitarian crisis.

Trump said that he and Pence hadn’t spoken about that, and he disagreed with his running mate.

But Pence Pence said Monday on Fox News that moderator Martha Raddatz mischaracterized his position. But Raddatz had accurately quoted him saying: “Provocations by Russia need to be met with American strength and…the United States of America should be prepared to use military force to strike the military targets of the Assad regime.”

Two fundraisers that were to have featured running mate Mike Pence have been canceled in recent days. Trump’s national finance chairman Steven Mnuchin said that was due to “scheduling issues and nothing more.”

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.