11 Aug Get Ready For IU Bloomington Move-In Day Traffic
Thousands of freshmen and their parents will converge on Bloomington next week, as new students move into dorm rooms on the Indiana University campus.
Traffic getting into and moving around Bloomington will be congested starting as soon as Sunday, although most students will head to town on Wednesday, the official Move-In Day.
Getting Into Bloomington
Construction on State Road 37 between Bloomington and Martinsville causes daily delays, as crews continue working on Interstate 69 Section 5.
INDOT officials say all four lanes of traffic on State Road 37 north of Sample Road will be open starting today through Sept. 5 to accommodate move-in traffic.
If you’re headed south to Bloomington, you could use an alternate route to avoid the construction altogether:
Getting Around Bloomington
Once in the city, look out for adjusted traffic patterns. IU Police Department officers will be stationed at various intersections from 7:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Wednesday. After 5 p.m., traffic patterns will revert to normal.
- Tenth Streeet will be one way west from Union Street to Jordan Avenue. The south lane of 10th Street will be used as an unloading zone.
- Eastbound traffic for 10th Street will be rerouted to Law Lane between Jordan Avenue and Union Street.
- Seventh Street will be one-way east from Jordan Avenue to Union Street, and the south lane of Seventh Street will be used as an unloading zone.
- Sunrise Drive will be one way south from 10th Street to Seventh Street.
- Rose Avenue will be one way north from Third Street to Seventh Street, and the east lane of Rose will be used as an unloading zone.